TELECOMMUNICATION LAW UPDATE: TCRA’S CLARIFICATIONS ON REGISTRATION AND OWNERSHIP OF MORE THAN ONE SIM CARDS WITH THE SAME LICENSEE IN TANZANIA.
- Yes you can own more than one sim card under a single operator.
- You do not need an approval to own up to four sim cards, if each is under a separate operator.
- Registrations and applications for approvals are still open till 31st July 2020.
- Important for you to verify validity of your sim card registration.
- Read more for hotlines and dial lines for validations, registrations etc.
On 1st July, 2020 the Director General of Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (“TCRA”) issued a notice to the public regarding implementation of the legal procedure for registration and ownership of more than one SIM card with the same licensee. There has been a huge confusion on the applicability of the Regulations and the associated frenzy due to fear of non-compliance.
Breakthrough Attorney’s corporate and Regulatory compliance team has interpreted the above said notice as indicated below:-
Regulation 18 of the Electronic and Postal Communications (SIM Card Registration) Regulations, 2020 (hereinafter referred to as “the SIM Card Registration Regulations, 2020”) provides that: –
- “A person intending to own and use SIM Card, built in SIM Card mobile telephone or SIM enabled mobile communication equipment or device shall be allowed to register-
- in the case of an individual-
i. not more than one SIM Card from each licensed mobile network operator for use on voice, short message and data services;
ii. not more than four SIM Cards from each licensed mobile network operator for use on machine to machine communication; and
- in the case of company or institution-
i. not more than thirty SIM Cards from each mobile network operator for use on voice, short messaging and data services;
ii. not more than fifty SIM Cards from each mobile network operator for use on machine to machine communication.
- in the case of an individual-
- The SIM Cards registered for the purposes provided under sub regulation (1) (a) shall not be used interchangeably.
- Notwithstanding sub regulation (1), an individual, a company or an institution may be allowed to register and own more than the specified SIM Cards upon submission of written application and approval from the Authority.
- Any person who contravenes this regulation, commits an offence and shall, upon conviction, be liable-
- in the case of an individual, to a fine of not less than five million Tanzanian shillings or imprisonment for a term not less than twelve months or to both and shall be liable to a fine of not less than seventy-five thousand Tanzanian shillings for every day during which the SIM Card was used or possessed; and
- in the case of a company or institution, to a fine of not less than fifty million Tanzanian shillings and shall be liable to a fine of not less than one hundred and seventy-five thousand Tanzanian shillings for every day during which the SIM Card was used or possessed.”
Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (“TCRA”) notifies the public that, the process of lodging applications for approval to own more than one SIM card with the same licensee is currently on going. All persons who own SIM cards are required to register and verify authentication of their SIM cards with licensees.
2.0 APPROVAL OF THE TOTAL NUMBER OF SIM CARDS REGISTERED THROUGH NATIONAL IDENTITY CARDS
SIM card owners are required to dial *106# to confirm registration of their SIM cards. Where a person does not recognize phone numbers registered using his/her National Identity Card, he/she is advised to communicate with the customer service desk of his/her licensee requesting them to block such phone numbers immediately to avoid inconveniences when they are misused.
For those who own more than one SIM card with the same licensee, deadline for verification of SIM cards will be 31st July 2020.
Applications for approval to own more than one SIM card is still on going. An applicant may receive this service through TCRA’s agents or customer service offices who will send all applications to TCRA, electronically. Applications will be responded within at least five minutes.
3.0 VALIDATION OF REGISTERED SIM CARDS
Currently, validation of SIM cards may be made through agents or customer service offices who will send all applications to TCRA, electronically. Applications shall be responded within at least five minutes. Or
By dialing *106# where a person will be able to request for TCRA’s approval through his/her mobile phone. This service shall officially begin on 01st August, 2020.
This publication has been prepared for general guidance on matters of interest only, and does not constitute professional advice. You should not act upon the information contained in this publication without obtaining specific professional advice. No representation or warranty (express or implied) is given as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this publication, and, to the extent permitted by law, Breakthrough Attorneys, its members, employees and agents do not accept or assume any liability, responsibility or duty of care for any consequences of you or anyone else acting, or refraining to act, in reliance on the information contained in this publication or for any decision based on it.